Congratulations to Our Senior Director, Kevin Chua on the launch of his book, “Contract Smart — Understanding Contract Law in Singapore”. Learn All About Contracts Under Singapore Law This book explains legal concepts for the layperson. This second edition is an update to the must-have guide for every businessperson who wants to understand how the
Advocate and Solicitor, Singapore
LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore, Class of 2000
- Banking and Finance
- Capital Markets
- Investment Funds
- Corporate & Commercial
- Financial Services Regulation
- Regulatory & Compliance
- Cryptocurrency and Blockchain
Kevin Chua is a Senior Director at Yuen Law and Head of the Regulatory and Compliance Team in the Corporate Practice Group.
During his distinguished career of over 20 years in both public service and private practice, Kevin has developed a depth and breadth of expertise in corporate and commercial law, and a special focus on regulatory laws and compliance.
His public sector record saw him serving in the Attorney-General’s Chambers, the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) and the Monetary Authority of Singapore. He had a critical role in the team (secretariat) overseeing the 2003 amendments to the Companies Act, among other legislation administered by ACRA, where he held management positions in the Compliance Division and the Registration Division.
Kevin later joined MAS, and became one of its Assistant General Counsels. Advising on a spectrum of legal issues, his responsibilities centred particularly on investment agreements, commercial contracts, and government tenders.
With diverse experience in the private sector, Kevin is also steeped in on-the-ground legalities that impact to clients at every level of business – from solopreneurs and startups, to SMEs and MNCs.
He brings to the table practical counsel gleaned from stints in a Big Four law firm, as Head of Regulatory Practice in a boutique law firm ranked in The Legal 500 for its work in financial services regulation, as well as as in-house counsel at an MNC.
Kevin has an extensive experience in payment services and digital tokens such as in cryptocurrency and blockchain services; AML/CFT (anti-money laundering / countering financing of terrorism); as well as full-suite corporate and commercial legal services with regards to mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, investment agreements, government tenders, and commercial contracts.
Kevin has a vast array of personal interests which he fits into his professional life, because he has a childlike curiosity about everything that can never be satiated.
- Advising and guiding several financial institutions on their applications for payment institutions licenses under the Payment Services Act 2019
- Advising licensed fund managers in relation to investment management and drafting legal documentation for investment funds managed by them
- Advising capital markets services licence holders, including fund managers, on statutory requirements and obligations, and assisting them with their compliance processes
- Advising variable capital companies on their documentation, corporate governance and investment transactions
- Advising companies and businesses dealing in payment services and cryptocurrencies (digital payment tokens), including assistance with applications for licences, and assistance in structuring and developing their business models
- Advising Indian companies on the legal structure of their groups and re-domiciliation of their headquarters to Singapore
- Advising on seed and series funding for an agri-tech group, various fintech start-up companies, and venture capital firms, with a focus on their regulatory and compliance needs
Download Kevin Chua's CV (PDF)
News about Kevin Chua
Yuen Law is proud to welcome Kevin Chua, a new Director on its legal team in January 2021 as the firm augments its Corporate Practice. Kevin heads Yuen Law’s Financial Regulatory and Compliance team under our Corporate Practice Group. Our clients can now benefit from this law veteran’s depth and breadth of expertise in corporate and
Articles by Kevin Chua
I am pleased that Yuen Law understand the business owners’ wishes and with their provision of prompt responses within 24 hours, including working on the weekends, to deliver satisfactory requests. They have successfully anticipated some complexities and have gone the extra mile to accomplish our goal.
Valuable feedback on how the contract is to be drafted was given.
Expertise and access to others with different disciplines; use of trained associates, legal assistants and support staff.
Friendly, professional and cost-effective.
Yuen Law has a well-sized team covering a wide area of expertise which makes it very dependable, resourceful and a strong convenient factor for clients.