Grant of Probate Process
To start, the Executor or Administrator should see a lawyer and bring along the following (as far as possible):
- Original death certificate;
- Original will, if any;
- Identity cards of executor/administrator and beneficiaries;
- Marriage certificates, birth certificates, and death certificate of next-of-kin;
- list (and value as of date of death) of assets in Singapore and overseas with supporting documents e.g. bank statement, insurance policy, share certificates etc;
- Foreign Grant for resealing, with certified true copies and translations;
- Inheritance Certificate from Syariah Court for Muslims.
Where there is no will, the family first needs to agree who will be the Administrator(s). Once the family has decided the Court requires the other family members to renounce their right to apply to Court as Administrator by signing a Court document which we will prepare known as a Renunciation. This does not affect the family member(s) entitlement under law to their respective share of the assets of the estate. Where there are beneficiaries under 21 years of age the Court requires a co-administrator and sureties to safeguard the interest of a minor.
Once Probate or Letter of Administration is granted, the family will be able to transfer assets (flat, shares, car, club membership etc) to spouse or children or charity, close bank accounts, and collect insurance payments.
For assistance on probate matters, please contact us to make an appointment.
Related Probate Articles
- Truths and Myths about Grant of Probate/ Grant of Letters of Administration
- Why is a Grant of Probate Needed?
- Resealing of Foreign Grant of Probate/ Letters of Administration
- Do I Need to Pay Estate Duty?
- Time Period for Obtaining a Grant of Probate / Grant Letters Of Administration
- The Difference Between Grant of Probate and Letters Of Administration
- Dispensation of Sureties
- What are the Roles and Duties of an Executor or Administrator?
- How Can an Executor/Administrator Distribute an Estate to Beneficiaries?